
Last night I was able to attend my first (GIG) Gluten Intolerance Group meeting. It was better than I ever expected. Having never been to any sort of support group.... not really even know what those were or how they worked it was great!
The topic was on tips for traveling gluten free. There is just so much to learn about cross contamination, one of the cute ladies said when you explain it to other people try the nice way first which is explaining it's like a peanut allergy... all it has to do is touch and then she told me if that doesn't work ... ask them if they would eat something that had been sitting on "rat poison" I cracked up, but truly I am finding it is hard to stress the importance to people who just don't understand it.
I was also amazed at the varying degrees and types of symptoms, one poor ladies lips swell up if she eats anything with gluten and another breaks out in hives clear down her throat, then there are the lucky ones of us that have the digestive troubles such as myself. It felt great to be in a room with others that "get it" and understand what your going through. When I told them about binging on a batch of home made oatmeal cookie dough they just nodded their head and told me I was normal. They said it is a process you go through to finally get to be gluten free and MUCH healthier, no more malnutrition problems and all that includes.
The only discouraging part is that is can take 6 months to a year to feel better depending on how severe your symptoms are. I did come away thinking if these other individuals can do this and some with entire families that either have Celiac or are extremely gluten intolerant then I can do this.
At least for now I only have to focus on one thing I can't eat instead of that whole list of things, that was truly difficult.
Friday, May 8, 2009
First GIG Meeting
Posted by Kimberly Kidman at 8:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment